From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. Please improve this article if you can. (June 2010)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. |
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (August 2007)
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
• 310 m (1,017 ft)
 PoliticsKangayam assembly constituency is part of Tirupur (Lok Sabha constituency).
 Member of ParliamentMr.A. Ganeshmurthi - Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) - Kangeyam comes under Erode Constituency. Previously it came under Palani.
 Member of Legislative AssemblyMr.Vidiyal Sekar. S - Indian National Congress
 Taluk villages
|Viranguttai Valasu||NILALI||KEERANOOR||ALAMPADI||BALA SUMATHIRAM PUDUR||GANAPATHY PALAYAM||VEERANAMPALAYAM||MARAVAPALAYAM|
 Bus standKangeyam has a central bus stand which is used by TNSTC, and the private operators. And there is a town bus stand adjusant to the central bus stand. This is situated in the heart of the town.
Buses are available to all parts of Tamil Nadu from here because of its geographical location. Access to all main cities of Tamil Nadu like Coimbatore, Tirupur, Tiruchy, Erode, Palani, Dharapuram, Tanjore, Karur, Dindigul, Madurai, Chennai, Ooty, Theni, Kodaikanal, etc. are available frequently.
Kangeyam comes under Tirupur District and Dharapuram revenue division.
 Road accessiblityThe town of Kangeyam is connected to chinnaparenjeervazhi by good road facility. That road also connect to nathakkadaiyur.
The town of Kangayem is well connected by NH 67,which runs between Coimbatore and Nagapattinam Via Thiruchirapalli, Thanjavore. A major State Highway connecting Erode and Palani runs through Kangeyam.
And the another majore state highway runs between Kangeyam and Tirupur. Even remote areas of kangayem are within the reach of 5 km from the Highways. From here there are buses to all over Tamil Nadu.from here the buses are to chennai,andhra,banglore etc.
 TelecommunicationKangeyam has a very good network of Telecommunication. The traditional BSNL suscribers are rapidly targeted by the upcoming private players like Reliance Infocomm, Bharti Airtel, Vodafone , MTS , Aircell and Tata Indicom. Since the developments of the town was uniformly distributed all over, the connectivity is well within the range.
Since the town is growing fast, the importance of wireless connectivity increases rapidly. And ultimately the town has become a cake in the telecommunication market.
 People and culturePeople of Kangeyam are known for their hospitality and culture.Even though goundersd are majority in population and economically strong they live with communal harmony with the other people.
People of Kangeyam are noted for their rich tradition and economical growth. People living below the poverty line is around 3%, which is much lower than the national average and the state average.
 DemographicsAs of 2005[update] India census, Kangeyam had a population of 38,862. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Kangeyam has an average literacy rate of 73%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 80%, and female literacy is 66%. In Kangeyam, 9% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Kangeyam is a vibrant town with lot of commercial activities. It is located to very close Industrial towns such as Tirupur, famous for its apparel exports, Erode, a major agricultural trading & textile promoting town, Karur, famous for its textile production and Coimbatore, a vibrant city known for its machinery exports.
The four major industries in the Kangeyam are rice production, coconut copra production, coconut oil production and ghee production. Kangeyam also owns it value for precious stones in the world arena. Though the region is semi arid and rain fed, it is very suitable for rice production with its round the year warm weather and optimum humidity. Most of the rice produced here are boiled rice marketed in the near by cities like Coimbatore, Erode, Tirupur and also exported to North America and Europe.
Kangeyam started emerging as a major trading centre in the '80s with the spread of coconut cultivation in Tamil Nadu. There are a few hundred oil mills in the area, which almost serves the need of the state and exports to the neghiboring states. The bulk of the coconut oil trade at Kangeyam goes to states like Maharashtra, Karnataka, Gujarat, West Bengal and Madhya Pradesh.
Kangeyam is second largest oil market in India,which is behind from cochin
There are few hundred drying yards for the purpose of rice production. These mills were located in and around the town.
Paddy is procured from Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, near by states, and from Thanjavur, Cauvery delta region in Tamil Nadu.
 Colleges in and around kangeyam
- EBET Group of Institutions, Nathakadaiyur, Erode road
- Cheran Arts & Science College
- Vellakovil Arts & Science College, Trichy Road, Vellakovil,Kangeyam
- K.M.C. College, Chettiarpalayam, Muthur Road.
- Cheran College For Women
- P.S.G. Ponnammal College of Education
- P.S.G. Ponnammal Teacher Training Institute
 Higher secondary schools in and around Kangeyam
- Jaycees Matric Higher Secondary School,Sivanmalai
- Nallathambi sakarai mandradiyar Government Higher Secondary School,kangeyam
- Sri Raja Rajeswari Matric Higher Seconday School
- Mercy Matriculation higher sec School,Kadaiyur
- Carmel Girls Higher Secondary School,Karur road
- Global matriculation School,Dharapuram Road
- V.M.C.D.V Higher Secondary School, Thayampalayam
- Anoor vidyalaya matriculation higher secondary school,muthur- 638105
- K.K.P Matriculation Higher secondary school, Muthur.
- Sri Vidhya Nikethan Matric Higher Secondary School.varadhappam palayam
- Bharat Matric Higher Secondary School, Olappalayam
- St Paul's Matriculation School,Kalimadu,Kangayam
ANBARASU Sri Vidhya Nikethan Matric Higher Secondary School.varadhappam palayam
 Primary school in and around Kangeyam
- Panchayat Union Middle school (Bharathiyar School) Thiru v ka nagar, kangayam
- Panchayat Union Middle school, POTHIYAPALAYAM,Kangeyam.
- Jaycees Feeder School, Kangeyam
- Sri Raja Rajeswari Kindergarten School, Kangeyam
- Mercy Matriculation higher sec School, Kadaiyur, Kangeyam
- Aided Primary Vanithakalivinilayam, Kangeyam
- Fathima Nursery & primary School
- Carmel Nursery School, Kangeyam
- Aksaya Nursery & primary school, Kangeyam
- Mother Therasa Nursery, Kangeyam
- Panchayat Union Primary School, Kangeyam
- Panchayat Union Primary School Agilandapuram, Kangeyam
- Panchayat Union Primary School Kalimedu, Kangeyam
- Panchayat Union Primary School Kamarajanagar, Kangeyam
- Panchayat Union Primary School Thotiapatty, Kangeyam
- Panchayat Union Primary School Olappalayam, Kangeyam
- Govt. Higher Secondary School Nathakadaiyur.
 Places of Importance around Kamgeyam
|This article or section reads like an advertisement. |
To meet Wikipedia's quality standards and comply with Wikipedia's neutral point of view policy, it may require cleanup.
 Sivan Malai Lord Murugan TempleThe beautiful hill sivan malai is located on Tirupur road at 6 km from Kangeyam. The deity is lord Murugan, the temple is located atop the hill which can be reached by steps (450steps) and also by road. The place is calm and clean, not much of crowd on ordinary days. The idol is so beautiful, the very sight of lord muruga removes all our hardships and give us immense peace. Here the important days are shasthi, theroottam (car festival).
 ChennimalaiIt is located some 19.99 km away from Kangeyam. It is also one of the famous temple in kongu region. it both accessible by road and steps. The deity is lord Muruga, and the Therootam is a famous festival.
 oorathupalayam damIt is the dam constructed near Kangeyam on Noiyal River. Once it was a scenic place for picnics, now turned in to a pool of toxic effluents from Tirupur Dying units.
 Senaapathy Kangayam Cattle Research Foundation=It is a in situ conservation and breeding centre for Kangayam (zebu)cattle in Tamil Nadu. It is situated in the village of Kuttappalayam on the way to Erode. visit www.kangayambull.com
 Agriculture in KangeyamAgriculture had been the main livelihood for most of the people in Kangeyam till 1990s. Though the people were doing modernised agriculture, with the change in Indian Economic Policy, agriculture got a setback , Which resulted in the change of mentality of the people. Now a days most of the people have a side business along agriculture, owing to poor returns in agriculture. Most of the agricultural lands in Kangeyam receive irrigation facility through PAP irrigation network. There are complains that the water received by Kangeyam from PAP irrigation network has drastically reduced after the extension of the canal to Velakoil due to the influence of the erstwhile AIADMK strong man Durai Ramasamy at that time.
 Attrition of agricultural workforceThough the primary occupation of most of the people in and around Kanagayam is agriculture there is a trend in the younger generation to shift work to Knitwear and garments which resulted in the steep increase of agricultural labour demand. This is primarily due to the losses sustained by the agriculture in the last 10 years which is attributed to change in Indian Economic Policies towards agricultural imports and due to the steep raise in skilled and unskilled labours for the Knitting and garment factories in nearby city of Tirupur.
 Excessive ground water exploitationThere has been steady decline in ground water due to extensive agriculture in this region. This effect is mainly attributed towards the supply of free electricity by the Government of Tamil Nadu, which resulted in the exploitation of ground water from deep tube wells seen all over the area. If this trend continues there will be a complete over-exploitation of ground water in Kangeyam area in the near future.
 Use of modern techniques in agricultureKangeyam agriculturalists are one of the pioneers in the use of modern agriculture in the state. Almost all the coconut plantations are provided with drip irrigation. Use of single phase preventer and electronic auto on off devices are common in all agricultural establishments.
 Two wheeler show rooms
- Yamaha - Mahalakshmi Agency, Kovai road, Kanagyam.
- Bajaj - Aadhithya Motors,10/10A, Kovai Road, Kangeyam.
- TVS - RKS TVS, Kovai Road, Kangeyam.
- Hero honda - SS Motors, Kovai Road, Kangeyam.
 Earth movers and heavy vechilsShree Amman Earth movers
 Audio service centresSuperAudios,TirupurRoad,
 Public Address Systems and LightingsOm Muruga sounds and lightings, Nathakkadaiyur.
 Heavy vechil service centreSS AUTO DIESEL WORKS Karur Road
 Headline text
 See also
- ^ "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies". Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. http://archive.eci.gov.in/se2001/background/S22/TN_ACPC.pdf. Retrieved 2008-10-11.
- ^ "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. http://web.archive.org/web/20040616075334/http://www.censusindia.net/results/town.php?stad=A&state5=999. Retrieved 2008-11-01.